Real Aid promises to respect any personal information you share with us. We are a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office, and as such will always aim to be clear and concise when collecting your personal data. Please be assured that personal information will only be processed in accordance with this privacy statement and within the General Data Protection Regulations framework.
We are making the transition to an ‘opt-in only’ communication policy (hopefully completed by December 2018). This means that we will only send marketing communications to those who have explicitly stated that they are happy for us to do so via their preferred channel(s) (email, post or phone) by giving their explicit informed consent.
Our marketing communications include information about our latest projects, campaigns and fundraising work. If you would like to receive such communications but have not opted in please contact us on [email protected] or 0207 790 1717.
1. Personal data we may collect and how we use it:
If you support us, for example by becoming a member, making a donation, signing up for information at an event or by purchasing something from our web-shop, we will usually collect:
• Your name
• Your contact details (postal address, email and telephone number)
• Your bank or credit card details.
Occasionally, we may also ask for:
• Why you have decided to support us (this is never a mandatory question, but sometimes it’s useful to understand the motivations of our supporters)
We will mainly use your data to:
• Administer your donation, membership or legacy (including processing gift aid)
• Keep you updated with our conservation work and projects
• Direct marketing appeals
• Keep a record of your relationship with us
• Ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted
• Provide you with the products, goods, services or information you have asked for
We will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information, except where it’s necessary to fulfil your membership (for example financial processing) and we have your permission (for example to external supplies of purchased products to fulfil orders) or under special circumstances, such as when the law requires it. We will not share your details with third parties and wouldn’t sell or rent user information to anyone.
Direct Marketing Appeals
With your consent, we will contact you to let you know about the progress we are making and to ask for donations to support our conservation goals. Our forms will always have clear marketing preference questions so you can update your mailing preferences when we send you direct appeals. If you don’t want to hear from us, that’s fine. Just let us know by contacting us on [email protected] or 0207 790 1717.
2. How we keep your data safe and who has access:
Real Aid take your privacy seriously and ensure that:
• Appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details. For example, online forms are always encrypted and our network is protected and routinely monitored.
• We regularly review who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff and volunteers.
Real Aid uses the expertise of three external financial processing organisations to process payments on our behalf. Your personal information may be shared with one of these organisations under contract and in compliance with the Data Protection Act requirements:
• Rapidata Services Plc (direct debit processing)
• RBS World Pay (credit card processing)
• PayPal (online money tranfers)
If products or services are purchased through Real Aid, your personal information may be shared with suppliers in order to fulfil your order. In other circumstances we would only ever share your details if we had your explicit and informed consent. Very rarely, we may need to disclose your details if required to the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisors.
3. Your right to know what we know, make changes or ask us to stop using your data:
Real Aid will give you frequent opportunities to update your communication and marketing preferences. But you have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data, at any time and, if it’s not necessary for the purpose you provided it to us (e.g. processing your membership or donation) we will do so. You can exercise the right at any time by contacting us at [email protected] or writing to Data Protection Officer, Real Aid , 14 Cavell St, London, E1 2HP.
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover the work involved in this. If there are any discrepancies in the information we provide, please let us know and we will correct them.
If you want to access your information, please send a description of the information you want to see and proof of your identity by post to: Data Protection Officer, Real Aid, 14 Cavell St, London, E1 2HP.
We will endeavour to send the information requested as soon as possible and within 30 days of receiving the written request. We can not accept these requests by email so we can ensure that we only provide personal data to the right person.
For further information see the Information Commissioner’s guidance here.